This Mug Muffin has become a staple in our household. Not only is it super quick to whip up, it’s super fast to make! You make the batter ahead of time, (it makes a lot so you’ll need a fairly large container) and it’s good in the fridge for up to three weeks! It never lasts this long with us, but it’s always good to know that you don’t have to eat a muffin every day to save the batter!
What a LOVE about this recipe isn’t just the convenience of it, it’s also the versatility. The batter is good cooked by itself, but can be a little bland. SO, when you add the batter to the mug you add whatever you want to it and it’s that muffin. I’ve done blueberry, blackberry, straberry, banana and brown sugar, and banana chocolate chip. You could do orange, lemon poppy seed, bacon maple… again the concoctions are endless!
Another thing I love about this is that my son loves it. He eats it with pretty much anything and thinks it’s a major indulgence for him. He has even called it a cupcake in the morning. (Whatever works!)
So! Onto the ingredient list:
What You’ll Need:
Bran Cereal (2 cups)
All Bran Cereal (2 cups) (You can also use oatmeal or whole wheat flour)
Buttermilk (2 cups)
Sugar (1 1/2 cups)
Flour (2 1/2 cups)
Boiling Water (2 Cups)
Shortening (1/2 cup)
Baking Soda ( 1 1/2 tspn)
Salt (3/4 tspn)
Whatever Additives You Will Use
1.Mix bran cereal with all bran cereal. (I didn’t have All Bran, so I used whole wheat flour and it worked just fine! You can also use oatmeal.)
2.Add boiling water, mix, and let cool.
(While bran mix is cooling)
3.In a seperate bowl, mix together shortening, sugar, and eggs. Add eggs one at a time. Mix well.
4. In another bowl, this one should be the largest bowl you have, (so you will have three bowls altogether.) mix together flour, baking soda and salt.
5. By now the bran mix should be cooled to about a room temperature. Go ahead and add buttermilk and mix well.
6. Add sugar,egg, and shortening mixture to bran mix and mix well.
7. Add all wet ingredients to the flour mixture bowl and mix well. There will be lumps, so don’t worry about mixing until smooth.
8. Add batter into a large container.
Now the fun part!
- Grab a mug.
- Fill mug halfway (no more or it will make a mess!) with batter.
- Add toppings.
- Microwave for 1 min at a time until the muffin is done. (No raw batter.)
Have fun with it! Let me know if you try anything really crazy with the batter! Until next time.